Devry NR443 (all discussions and all assignments) Entire Course
Devry NR443 (all discussions and all assignments) Entire Course
Devry NR443 week 1
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 1
Core Functions of Public Health (graded)
Let’s start with a broad overview of public health nursing. The three core functions of public health are assessment, assurance, and policy development (Nies & McEwen, 2015, p. 6).
· Describe one of these core public health functions.
· Discuss how this core function relates to one intervention from the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies & McEwen, 2015, pp. 14–15).
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations(6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Determinants of Health (graded)
What makes some healthy and others ill? Healthy People 2020 identifies five determinants of health that influence the health of individuals and populations. Healthy People 2020 describes them as “A range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2014, About Determinants of Health, para. 1). Determinants fall into five categories including: (a) policy making, (b) social factors, (c) health services, (d) individual behavior, and (e) biology and genetics.
· Go to the “Determinants of Health” link http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health and click on each determinant to read about all of the determinants.
· Choose one of the five determinants. In your posting, describe this determinant and its importance.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014) HealthyPeople2020: About Determinants of Health. Retrieved fromhttp://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health
Devry NR443 week 2
Windshield Survey (graded)
In this discussion thread, you will view a windshield survey video of a community called Iron Ridge to practice performing part of a windshield survey. Review the categories and questions in Box 6-2 on page 98 of your text (Nies & McEwen, 2015).
· Click HERE to view the windshield survey video.
· Click HERE to read a transcript of the video.
Next, choose one of the six assessment categories from Box 6-2, and discuss what you observed about Iron Ridge related to the questions in that category.
Also, discuss how a community health nurse might prioritize the identified needs to begin planning an intervention.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations(6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier
Devry NR443 week 2 DQ 2
Demographic and Epidemiological Assessment (graded)
For this post, you will collect assessment data about your city or county. This post will include information about demographics (general characteristics) and epidemiological data (disease or health behavior rates) of your community. This data collection will help with two sections of your Week 4 Milestone 2 assignment.
1. Demographic data: Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau at http://quickfacts.census.gov/. Obtain information about the demographic characteristics of the population for your city or county of residence. You may have to look at county data if your city is not listed. Collect a range of demographic data about age, ethnicity, poverty levels, housing, and education.
2. Epidemiological data: Go to your city or county health department website (search the Internet) or County Health Rankings (http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/) to discuss epidemiological data about your area. Identify several priority health concerns for your area.
Here is a helpful tip sheet about the
Devry NR443 week 3
Caring for Vulnerable Populations (graded)
This week, you are learning about many different vulnerable populations. Choose one vulnerable population.
· Briefly describe this vulnerable population.
· Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for this group.
· Describe two priorities for community health nurses working with this population.
Assuring Resources for the Vulnerable (graded)
Review the Week 3 Case Study that may be found in Doc Sharing.
Assurance is one of the three core functions of public health. Find a resource in your community (other than WIC) that could assist Mary during her pregnancy. Start by searching the Internet for your local health department’s website. What services do they provide for pregnant women or those with mental health concerns? What about your local welfare office? Do they provide prenatal or mental health services? Are there any service organizations, crisis pregnancy centers, or churches providing help for pregnant women or those experiencing mental health concerns?
· Briefly describe the types of services that you found.
· Choose one agency and assess this agency in terms of the 4 As. Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary or other pregnant women that you case-manage?
Devry NR443 week 4
Concerns for the School Nurse (graded)
As the school nurse role evolves, there are increasingly more health concerns for the school nurse. Does the locale make a difference in the problems, or are health problems in children and adolescents universal? In some inner-city areas, violence is a prevalent issue. What do you think are the biggest problems in your areas?
Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings (graded)
The federal government developed Healthy People as a set of national health objectives that are revised every 10 years. These objectives are very specific in order to guide and measure our nation’s progress related to public health.
Please visit http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/. Click on a topic area that relates to a community health (CH) setting you are learning about. Click on the green Objectives area in that topic area to choose one Healthy People 2020 numbered objective.
· Describe the community health setting of interest (see Chapters 30–33).
· Discuss one specific numbered Healthy People 2020 objective (not a goal) related to this community health setting.
· How could a community health nurse help this setting meet this objective?
Here is a helpful “Introduction to Healthy People 2020 website” document to aid you in navigating the HP 2020 website.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014). Healthy People 2020: 2020 Topics & Objectives. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/
Devry NR443 week 5
Population Health Intervention Strategies (graded)
Review the Week 5 Case Study found in Doc Sharing.
You will continue in your role as a nurse with your local health department. Examine your online lesson, assigned readings, and visit The Community Guide website:http://www.thecommunityguide.org/ to explore interventions related to violence or excess alcohol use. Choose one evidence-based intervention that is recommended, and present this intervention to the task force.
· Summarize this intervention and and discuss the community health nurse’s role in implementing this strategy.
· Describe whether it is considered a primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention strategy and include your rationale (see Nies & McEwen, 2015, Chapter 1, p. 7 for a review of levels of prevention).
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations(6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Disaster and Communicable Disease Preparedness (graded)
Preparing for disasters or communicable disease outbreaks is an important part of public health nursing. Visit the websitehttp://www.ready.govand http://www.ready.gov/pandemic. Review the steps for being prepared for a disaster or pandemic.
· As a community health nurse, what elements do you think are important to stress to the community?
· How well is your community prepared for a potential outbreak or disaster?
Devry NR443 week 6
Affordable Care Act (ACA) (graded)
Please explore the healthcare marketplace website at https://www.healthcare.gov/. Choose the get answers tab towards the top of the page. Review several of the topics under this tab and share something that you learned about how the marketplace works and how this would apply to those in your community.
The Affordable Care Act is a controversial topic, and I’m sure there are many different viewpoints represented in our class. For this discussion, let’s focus on understanding the basics of the marketplace so that we can provide accurate information for our patients and communities.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Environmental Health (graded)