Mold, when it grows outdoors, is harmless. But, when it grown inside the house, mold can cause problems. It produces allergens and can even be potentially toxic. This is especially true for sensitive people- mold can cause an allergic reaction, induce hay fever like symptoms, cause runny nose, and skin rash. Here’s what you have to know about the problem in the case of water damage:
• If water damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, it makes sense to call in professional water damage restoration companies. They’ll identify the problem and fix problems caused by the polluted water.
• They multiply easily and permeate into the house through the AC/heating system, clothes, pets, etc. If after a flood, you think your house is mold-free, think again! More often than not, mold is not visible to the naked eye. The simple soak and mop technique does not keep mold away. Professional water cleanup companies use modern gadgets to detect mold from seemingly perfect places. But before you hire one, make sure that the cleaning company specializes in mold management.
• If you suspect mold growth, call a professional water damage cleanup company. They will carefully inspect your house and look for mold using sophisticated equipments. Some of the steps to contain mold include using advanced procedures.
• Some professionals carry air filters, or air scrubbers that capture spores in the air and contain the problem.
• Mold remediation largely depends on surface where the mold appears and the amount of mold growth.
• Cleanup mold immediately from wood, paintings and other furniture. Mold on paintings should be cleaned before repainting on the same surface.
• Avoid breathing in the contaminated air. Sometimes, professional companies make use of special respirators that prevent mold.
• To prevent mold growth, clean up sewage line regularly and keep the drip pan below the air conditioning system clean.
• Control humidity inside the house- ideal indoor humidity should be below 60%. This prevents mold growth.