As we age, the cumulative effects of sun damage, weight fluctuations and genetics all may have a profound effect on the appearance of our skin. These changes affect the elasticity of our skin. As a result, skin can hang down as gravity acts on it creating droopiness, wrinkles and bands. This can be thought of as excess skin and is similar in concept to a dress that becomes too large as its owner loses weight. With the introduction of many skin tightening treatments, sagging of skin doesn’t have to be a part of our destiny anymore.
Causes of Skin Sagging
There are few main causes of sagging skin as listed below:
- The natural processes of ageing and the downward pull of gravity plays a major role. After numerous years of fighting the natural downward pull our skin begins to give in and sag downward. The effects of this gravitational pull do not show up until we are well into our mature years but the weakening of the skin happens from the day we are born.
- Sun exposure is another reason for skin losing its elasticity. The sun's powerful rays damage skin cells which, over time, this can increase the effects of aging. This breaks down your collagen and elastin, which can lead to saggy skin and wrinkles.
- The loss of large amounts of weight over a short period of time can cause skin to sag. Those who undergo weight loss surgery often find themselves stuck with skin and tissue too stretched out to snap back. People who lose a lot of weight quickly with diet and exercise may be disappointed by the amount of skin that is left sagging after all their hard work and discipline
Tips to Prevent Skin Sagging
- Avoid sun damage. Use sunblock when outdoors. Avoid sun exposure during peak hours - 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Avoid smoking as it is the second most common cause of premature aging.
- Lose weight slowly and do not exceed 1-2 pounds per week. While dieting, maintain your protein and nutritional needs. Preserve your muscle mass and incorporate strength training in your workout regimen.
- For your facial skin, incorporate a skincare regimen that includes exfoliation, hydration, rejuvenation and nutrition.
Treatments for Skin Tightening
Dermal fillers can soften the shadowing that occurs around your facial creases, thus making the jowls and cheek folds appear less prominent. They can be used to restore volume to the cheeks and to lessen the appearance of the jowls to some extent.
Facial exercises are targeted at strengthening the muscles that support the skin and not just at tightening the top layers of skin. Through these exercises individuals can build up muscles so skin is held tighter to the face and sagging and wrinkles are reduced.
Laser Facial Resurfacing
This technique is the least invasive and utilizes a laser to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and help minimize the look of skin sag.
Ultherapy is the only FDA-approved non-invasive treatment for lifting the skin on the neck, chin, brow and décolletage. Ultherapy treatment uses focused ultrasound technology to gradually strengthen and tone your skin from deep within without any downtime.
The author is a leading Ultherapy treatment specialist who has vast knowledge about skin tightening treatments. He shares his expertise on the causes, tips and treatments of skin sagging.