India and Australia on 24 August 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the fields of education, training and research. The MoU was signed by Smriti Irani, Union Minister of Human Resource Development and Christopher Pyne MP, Minister for Education and Training, Australia.
The MoU will help intensify existing partnerships between India and Australia in higher education & research, including technical and professional education, schools, vocational education and training and will open up new and innovative areas of cooperation.
The MoU was signed during the meeting of the Australia-India Education Council (AIEC) in New Delhi.
Objectives of this MoU
• Expansion of Australia India Education Council membership from time to time to ensure appropriate representation from academia, policy makers and industry.
• Strengthening of the policy dialogue and exchange in areas of mutual benefit, including qualification and quality frameworks and standards for education, research and training.
• It will support mobility of students and faculty members through formal exchange programs, internships and other modalities.
• It will improve credit transfer arrangements and work towards qualifications recognition between Australia and India.
• Supporting and organizing professional development programmes for subject experts, educational administrators, faculty members and teachers.
• Encouraging twinning arrangements between institutions of higher learning and organisation of joint research programmes and publications.
• Sharing best practice education materials including research materials, publications, and educational literature.
• Supporting skills development through joint conferences, seminars, policy dialogue and technical cooperation in national standards development.
• It will develop bilateral programmes between institutions of educational excellence in technical, vocational, schools and higher education,