Today's world is extremely fascinated with a craze for white teeth and a bright smile. With celebrities walking the ramp showing off their pearly white teeth, many people yearn to find an excellent way to boost their smile before a special occasion. Teeth whitening is the safest solution from the teeth experts to whiten your teeth without destroying your enamel. Before going brief into the topic of teeth whitening, you should fathom how teeth become discoloured.
Common Causes for Tooth Discolouration
In general, teeth can be discoloured by stains on the surface or by changes inside the tooth. The three common types of teeth discolouration are,
- Intrinsic discolouration occurs when the inner structure of the tooth darkens or gets a yellow tint. This type of discolouration is common if,
- Your tooth is exposed to excess fluoride during early childhood.
- You have experienced trauma that affected a tooth when you were a young child.
- You had internal teeth bleeding.
- You are suffering from a condition called dentinogenesis imperfecta.
- The outer layer of the tooth gets stained by drinks or foods like coffee, wine or cola.
- As we age, dentin naturally yellows over time and the enamel covering the teeth gets thinner.
- Stains on the enamel
- White streaks, yellow tints, brown spots or pits on the teeth
How Teeth Whitening Works?
Teeth whitening is a simple procedure that contain two bleaches which break stains into smaller pieces. Through scraping and chemical treatments a dentist in Blacktown cleans away the pellicle film which is formed over the enamel layer by the accumulation of foreign materials. The bleach chemicals gets down into the tooth enamel and set off a chemical reaction that breaks apart the staining compounds. In some cases, brushing your teeth can also knock out some of it but teeth whitening works harder on this layer.
The two common types of bleach used by dentist in Blacktown are,
- Carbamide peroxide or
- Hydrogen peroxide
Dentist supervised tooth whitening involves the controlled use of carbamide or hydrogen peroxide, tailored to a particular patient. Most dentists clean the teeth, fill any cavities and makes sure that the patients gum are healthy before beginning the tooth whitening treatment.
Recent studies have found that whitening gels that contain 10 percent carbamide peroxide have not been shown to cause any damage to the enamel of the tooth. Hence, teeth whitening is considered as the safe and effective treatment option available in the dentistry to get a bright smile. In case, if any dental patients are exposed to higher concentrations of whitening agents, the Blacktown dentist may prescribe fluoride gels to further protect their teeth.
So, considering all these benefits will you still pull your legs back while entering the dental office for teeth whitening? Certainly, not! With teeth whitening, white teeth and bright smile is not so far!
The author of this article is a leading dentist in Blacktown specialising in the field of cosmetic dentistry. In this article he writes about the importance of teeth whitening and how safe it is. Visit http://www.westpointdental.com.au for more information.